Monday, December 15, 2008

School's Out For Summa! (or Winta)

I can hardly believe that I am FINALLY done with school, my last day was almost 1 week ago (last Tuesday). It was a bittersweet day for me because I was super excited to finally be done with school but I was also so sad to leave the kids. My actual graduation is this coming Friday morning at ASU. The degree I will receive is a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education.

This has been such a long journey for me which started WAY back in 1995!! As I started out my college career I decided to pursue a degree in English Education .. just like Nana:-) My senior year of high school I managed to save up enough money working at Mega Foods to attend my first semester at ASU. My first semester was an amazing experience! I felt so ... so ... independent! The following semester I could not afford ASU so I opted for Chandler-Gilbert Community College. I loved this semester too!

After my first year of college, my family moved to Idaho and I moved into a apartment. At that time, I changed jobs (started Discover Card) and increased the hours I was working each week. Unfortunately, I didn't really have the time or money for school ... boo hoo! I worked at Discover Card for about 10 years and managed to take a couple business classes at the University of Phoenix and Glendale Community College.

Once Zacky was born in 2005 I began to stay home with my kids and take some on-line classes at Rio Salado Community College. As much as I LOVED staying home with them I really needed to do something to get out of the house. Mike and I talked about me going back to school. We were blessed to have Polly, Marlon, and Trisha down the street to help us with the kids on the nights that I had school and Mike was at work. I most certainly would not have been able to go back to school without such a supportive family!! Thanks guys!! And the rest is history!! I started the teaching program 2 years ago and I am finally finished! The time has gone by so quickly!!

In the process of completing the teaching program, I have developed a HUGE sense of school pride. I absolutely love ASU and I get excited whenever an ASU game is on! I am already telling Kaelyn and Zack that they have to attend ASU like mommy:-)

I have gone back and forth about graduate school. Not about whether or not I will attend, but when I will start. As a teacher, I will be required to continue my education. You are not required to attend graduate school, but I figure if I have to take classes anyway they may as well count towards a degree:-) I'm still not 100% sure what I will do at this time. I am just going to relax this week and possibly make a decision after Christmas.