Wednesday, December 10, 2008

~I love Christmas~

On Sunday I wanted to spend some "girl time" with Kaelyn so I arranged with Mike for him and Zacky to hit the road for a few hours. Zack found out that our girl time activity was to make a gingerbread house and he insisted that he was going to stay with us. After several minutes of trying to convince him that "man time" was much better than making a gingerbread house we realized we needed to come up with a new plan. We ended up deciding that we would both spend some 1 on 1 time with each kid.

First I stayed home with Kaelyn and she made her gingerbread house while Mike and Zack went to the park and for a pretzel with cheese. Then we switched kids and Zack stayed home with me to make his gingerbread house and Mike took Kaelyn to the movies. I must say, at first I thought it sounded too complicated and I tried to simplify things, but Mike really wanted 1 on 1 time with both kids.

I really enjoyed my time with each kid. It was so nice to devote 100% of my attention to each of them for a few hours. You could tell by the sparkle in their eyes that they enjoyed it too:-)

Zack's gingerbread house


Kaelyn's gingerbread house


Yesterday my school had a small faculty Christmas party for the employee's children. Santa showed up with a gift for each child. As Santa was giving out the presents the kids were immediately tearing into the packages. Kaelyn was one of the first kids to get her present and she just sat there patiently waiting for Zack to get his present before opening hers. My friend was shocked at how sweet she was .. truthfully, so was I .. but it was such a tender moment to watch.

Zack was the very last kid to get a present. We thought he might not get one at all for a while because both of Santa's bags were empty! All the teachers and I were running around tracing Santa's steps to see if the present had fallen out of his bag on the way from the "North Pole". Finally, Santa realized that Zack's present was stuck in the bottom of the bag. Poor little Zack was sitting there wondering what was going on and why Santa had forgotten him. Once he finally went up for his present everyone was cheering for him (which is why he looks so scared standing up there by Santa).