Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gardening




Today after church I decided to stop by one of the plant/tree nurseries to pick up some flowers to add to my yard. I have never done this before so I was being very brave. Going in the store, not knowing anything about gardening is a bit intimidating:-) Within the next few years, I plan to be a gardening expert ... so give me a call:-)
My goal was to add some color to the front and back yards. I picked up 4 trays of annual flowers (16 little pink, purple, and dark pink flowers), a large flower pot that was filled to the brim with assorted flowers, 2 Hibiscus (I LOVE the flowers on them!!), a few shrubs, some type of grassy bush, and this dark purplish/maroonish bush. Of course, I don't know all of the names, but I know that they look mighty colorful and mighty nice!! I am hoping and praying that all my little flowers make it.

I must say, it was a MUCH bigger job that I had anticipated! Digging, even small holes, is quite the chore in AZ!! I was looking forward to starting a new hobby, but the whole family had to get involved -- great fun was had by all!! Mike dug 3 huge holes for me pretty quickly .. I would have been digging all day! That's what you get when you have a powerhouse spouse! Hey that rhymes! My Big Strong PHS!

Unfortunately, I made a HUGE rookie mistake!! I guess I didn't realize what "Organic Soil" was ... because I was scooping huge handfuls with my bare hands. After I was all done I realized that what I had been working with all day smelled very similar to animal droppings! Help!! I have washed my hands about 25 times and they still smell like it! I have been slathering on the Victoria's Secret lotion so that it over powers the smell. I scrubbed, I showered, and still the smell remains ... what is a girl to do?? I tried to call my dad to ask for tips but he isn't answering. I will be picking up some gardening gloves for next time. (No wonder I saw so many gloves next to the "soil".)
Next time I will be a little more humble and ask for some advice from the nursery workers. What a fun job to work in a nursery!! I loved being there! You can't help but be happy surrounded by such beauty!!

I am on Spring Break this coming week! YES!! I am hoping that I have lots and lots of fun things to post this week! As of now, my only official plans are to SPRING CLEAN -- one room per day. That shouldn't be too bad, right??